Thattekad Bird Sanctuary--Part II

I didnt want to squeeze in lot of information in a single post, rather I would break into parts and detail my experiences in a better way.
So this is the second part of my recent trip to Thattekad. 

By now, Gireesh had returned home after work and I had rested for a while to energize myself for the second session of birding. 

Session II:

Not too far away from Gireesh's homestay is a puddle which acts as a natural bird bath for birds. Surrounded by plantation greens and forests, this place was appropriate for birds to come and enjoy evening time. I saw atleast 16 species of winged beauties in about 90 mins. 

Blue throated Flycatcher--this was the first one to take a dip in the pool. People often gets mistaken with tickell's blue flycatcher, but there is a lot difference between these birds.

This guy hopped from the green patches to the puddle and looked around multiple times to ensure privacy. 


The bird finally took a dip into the water after surveying the surroundings carefully.

Then came the cute looking yellow bird--Yellow Browed bulbul. 
Next was Indian Blue Robin--female.
Then comes the Puff throated Babbler.
..and, Whilte Bellied Blue Flycatcher--female.

Soon after the female leaves, the male White Bellied Blue FC arrives to the pond and relieves itself from heat.
An Orange Headed Thrush pays a visit to the pond. 
I was still anxiously waiting for one of my favorite bird to show up as I could hear its voice round the corner. It was getting dark and my camera was losing its power. It was then the time for Malabar whistling thrush to show up, that delighted me..!

Malabar Whistling Thrush---this beauty expects complete Privacy. It was almost 645PM when it showed up. But it stayed there for too long and sang well too.



Malabar Whistling Thrush.
Thick jungles of Thattekad hosts some amazing nocturnal birds. I was not too lucky to find the nightjars or other species, but this Jungle Owlet certainly made me feel elevated.
With this, I called it a day and retired to bed with a strong desire to find more species in the following morning.

More actions covered in Part III, stop by and say Hello..!


Comments

Popular Posts