Birding @ Agara Lake.

I heard about "Agara Lake" for the first time in the year 2004. BDA had transformed most of the lake bed into a well planned layout. Back then, I had no idea that I'd get to see this lake on a daily basis. Thanks to my work place which is close to this lake.
I have been observing good activities in the lake for a few months now. 

Juv and Adult Bronze winged Jacana.
Major part of the lake is covered by weeds. Though the lake is maintained by Lake Development Authority I was surprised to see plastics and paper cups on top of weeds. I felt the governance was not upto the mark. No wonder the water body gets polluted..!

Little Grebe.
I had a quick chat with an on-duty official from LDA.  According to her, last year this lake hosted close to 250 spot billed pelicans and was a perfect place for breeding. However, this year very few pelicans were seen due to lack of rain. Letting sewage into the lake was also one of the reasons.

Eurasian Coot.
I was pleased with beautiful sightings of storks, pelicans and coots. Harmony prevailed among them.

Spot Billed Pelican.
Spot billed pelicans were roosting comfortably. They dipped their long-funneled bill into the water to find prey.

Take off.!
Flight of "Hercules".
There were plenty of Black kites above the lake searching for breakfast. I noticed herons, jacanas, evading possible Kite-attacks. I was fortunate to witness couple of herons being attacked by a kite, but the herons escaped.

An Attack.
Black Ibis.
A typical Lake habitat.!
A Painted Stork.
Many more painted storks joined the "roosting party". It was a get together of Painted Storks, Spot Billed Pelicans, Spot billed ducks, Eurasian coots, jacanas, etc. 

Peace Summit.
The Stork family.
Pheasant Tailed Jacana.
Spot Billed Ducks.
Purple Heron--flight.
I found plenty of purple herons around. Few of them were enjoying the morning dip and the rest were flying from one corner to another in search of food. I felt there was a fishing competition between herons, storks and pelicans.

Purple Swamphen.
Though I did not like the situation of the lake it was a treat to watch different species of birds roosting peacefully. I hope Lake Development Authority would take necessary actions to preserve this beautiful water body.


Comments

Popular Posts